Thursday, June 30, 2011

Second Inspiration!

Since I usually have multiple projects and a bajillion ideas going at once, I finally had some inspiration for my informal dining room.  I was finishing sanding my table, thinking about wood filler, and  I realized that the top was probably not going to look great stained. Then, I had a thought! (yes, it is amazing it that the noggin still sometimes works) Since I was going to be staining it black- why not paint it black?  Then I thought, to myself "Self, you know what is even more fun than black- CANDY APPLE RED!"  Why the heck not.  I have spent a whopping $100 on the table, if I get bored of the red in a couple year- I can just find a new table, and new project, hence new color.  No huge investment here!  So now I am even excited about the informal dining room.  I also decided to create a little easy slipcover for the benches.  I have been feeling trapped by the pattern and colors.  Plus since I have three small children, the covers will hopefully protect the benches a little longer.  More on this project at a later date.....
Want to recreate a piece of furniture that is bugging you- find a piece with good bones that need a "face-lift"?  Here are the steps I am using to refinish my Goodwill find:
1.)  Sand table- Lightly if you are painting, well if you are staining.  I sanded my well, then decided to paint- oh well!  Nothing like sweat equity.  I borrowed a sweet sander that made the job super fast, and I am going back in to do some areas I couldn't reach by hand with a sandpaper cube (this will hopefully help to save my hands).
2.)  Wood Filler- I am using Minwax Stainable Wood Filler.  This was recommended by someone else, so it will be my first go with it.  Sand lightly with 220 (or above) sandpaper to smooth surface once filler dries.
3.)  Primer- Most people recommend Kilz- but since I am painting my table red,  I found a Krylon primer/paint combo in "Banner Red"  that I will be using for my base coat.  I will go back with regular Krylon Banner Red for follow up coats
4.)  After paint dries, I am applying Minwax water based polycrylic in a satin finish.  3 coats to finish.
According to most blogs and sources I have read this will help give me a professional finish since I do not have a high quality paint sprayer.
DeWalt sander with velcro sand paper- this is the whip!

My informal dining in its current ugg state

"No man's land" portion of space
I want to be candy apple red! Please, save me!!


Not sure what new fixture will be here- but I do know it will be inexpensive!
Lastly, I posted some pics of the informal dining area, my table project and the sander I have a crush on!

No comments:

Post a Comment