Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Fixing Veneers on an Existing Piece of Furniture

Kids enjoying breakfast at our "new" table
Well I finished our table for the informal dining room and we have been enjoying the new space for about a week now.  Prior to finishing I had to do some quick veneer fixes to the top of the table.  When I purchased this table from Goodwill, I don't think I realized the top of the table was actually a closet door from the hardware store.  In the process of sanding the table, I realized just what bad shape the table was in.  I had to fill and patch many places on the top of the surface with Minwax Stain/Paintable Woodfiller.  After patching and sanding a couple of times to get a smooth finish, I then noticed I had about four places on the bottom of the table top where the veneer had pulled away.  Luckily, we had all the supplies I needed.  If you want to fix a veneer, here is what you will need: 1.) Elmer's exterior waterproof wood glue 2.) A small putty knife 3) Clamps (clamp number will depend on the length of the veneer that is detached- I had to use four). 4.) Optional- Small plate or bowl.

Separating the veneer from the door interior

Wood glue and putty knife- essential tools

Optional tool- I poured the wood glue into a bowl to make application easier.

Clamping the veneer to the interior wood piece.  I let it dry 12 hours.

Veneer I had to fill with wood filler in order to repair before painting.

Wood filler applied and sanded with 220 grit paper.

Some baby praying mantis guest who visited the project!
After I had finished sanding the piece down, I used my finger to pull down on the loose veneer.  I then put my putty knife into the bowl I had filled with wood glue.  I used the putty knife to spread the glue all throughout the veneer portions that were open.  I used a generous amount of wood glue.  Then I set the veneer back down and used my clamps to really hold the piece back together.  I then wiped off excess glue that squeezed out from the veneer and door interior.  I was patient and waited 12 hours before removing my clamps.  I repeated this process about four times since I had a lot of veneer peels.  This was a great lesson for me in really paying attention to what I purchase.  It was more work than I really should have spent on such a (junky) piece of furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment