Monday, June 27, 2011

New Projects!

As much I have loved creating girls hair accessories for the past five years- it has been nice to think about starting different projects.  Mainly these involve sprucing up the nest a bit.  We moved into our current house about three years ago this summer and since we used to be house "flippers"  I never really did much to the house under threat of my hubby wanting to sell it.  Since the massive slowdown and housing market swan dive- the foreclosure we purchased has gone even further down in value- and I doubt we are moving anytime soon.  Not only that, but since my husband is self employed and they have changed lending practices, it would be a significant challenge to even get a loan.  When life gives you lemons- just start decorating!!  So it is time to finally make this house a home- pick the colors I want, and not worry about what most "buyers" would like.
So I have two current projects 1.)  I am refinishing a Goodwill find- a dining room table.  It is much larger than our current four seater which will help to seat our growing family and guests.  I have sanded the top (which is actually a door) and next I will start on the pedestal base. I am thinking I will stain it black??  I have a great banquet seating that my mom gave to me from Ballard Designs- shown above with a variation of a small cream and black check upholstery rather than the brown and cream shown.  I love it, but sometime I wish it had different upholstery.  If I get super ambitious I may just reupholster the seating.  So I plan to repaint the room a cream color- which will also make its way onto the walls in the living room.  (open floor plan hell)  I really need to add a valance over the window and a set of curtains to the sliding glass door.  I currently have some heinous vertical blinds covering the slider which remind me of living in an apartment.  I also would love to find about four or five chairs- all different which I could paint or stain the same color.  I would like to add washable (a must in a house with small children) chair cushions- possibly in a coordinating fabric- matching with bench and window treatments.  I desperately need to paint a magnetic steal board I have black to match the framed chalk board.  Oh and a light fixture-- the one I have is soooooo bad.  Anyhow- this is now my idea launching pad.  I actually am planning on redecorating most of the first floor common spaces.  This is just the first peice of furniture I am redoing- so I though I better post my progress here.  That way you can keep me in check- this is small room and should not take another three years!!  Let's see if I can do it.
My second furniture refinishing project is a 70s china cabinet that will go in my formal dining room.  I am planning on painting this peice- not sure what color yet.  I have another great door table (made from an old mission door) in my "formal" dining room.  We had wrought iron chairs made for the table and finished black.  I upholstered matching seat cushions, and curtains (which we sold when we sold our previous house)  We have an area rug for under the dining table that coordinates with cushions- but I would really love to go in another direction.  This room is another blank slate, builder basic beige, no window treatments- very spartan- even for me.  The area rug and fabric are bigger ticket items so I really am unsure what I would like to do.  My current thought is that I need to take a look at the antique formal china I have and will display for some inspiration.  It was a gift from my mother in law and is passed down- completely gorgeous and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment